No matter where you are in the world, reading gives you the power to learn, grow, and expand your mind to understand new perspectives. However, today’s fast-paced world can make it feel difficult to carve out the time to read. Thanks to advancements in technology, we no longer need to depend on physical books, and are free to create custom libraries from our own electronic devices.
When it comes to electronics, it's important to remember product protection. When you subscribe to Mulberry Unlimited, you can get coverage for all your electronic devices under the same product protection plan for a simple and affordable monthly price.
What are the best options for reading apps?
Whether you consider yourself the ultimate bookworm or are trying to create a new reading habit for yourself or your children, we’ve rounded up some of the best apps to help you achieve an entirely new level of literacy and understanding.
Download free reading apps
If you’re looking for apps to read books for free, there are plenty of great options out there.
- My Books. This app offers a user-friendly interface with plenty of customization options like text size, font, and background color. You’ll have access to a wide inventory of free fiction, non-fiction, and educational publications. Add whatever you want to your own personal digital bookshelf to help you track and reach all your reading goals! Keep in mind that some materials might require a fee to download.
- Libby. Libby lets you access digital materials through your local library membership. Along with the standard customization options, it even provides settings for users with dyslexia and visual impairments.
- Wattpad. Wattpad is a unique reading app that provides a platform for users to read, write, and share their stories in a variety of genres, from romance to science fiction. The main aspect that sets Wattpad apart is the social interface, which allows you to comment and vote on stories and follow your favorite writers.
- Amazon Kindle. Perhaps the most well-known reading app, Amazon Kindle is free to download and contains hundreds of titles that are available for free. If you want to upgrade your experience, you can sign up for Kindle Unlimited, which lets you borrow as many books as you can read, up to 20 titles at one time.
Reading apps for kids
- Prodigy English. This free reading app for kids uses an interactive approach to help kids master the English language. By creating a learning experience designed around games, kids aged 6-12 will feel more interested in staying engaged.
- Tales2go. This audiobook app for kids features a wide array of stories in all kinds of genres, from fairytales to non-fiction. Not only will it help kids improve their listening comprehension, it also helps foster a love for storytelling. You can subscribe for a modest monthly fee for access to unlimited titles.
- FarFaria. The FarFaria app is designed to make reading fun by engaging kids with interactive features like games, animation, and read-along narration. Parents even get their own dashboard to track their child’s progress and help them set and achieve goals.
How to read faster and retain more information
It can feel overwhelming when you have endless options of what to read and can do it from wherever you are. If you want to learn how to read faster and retain more information, try some of the techniques outlined below:
- Eliminate distractions. To create a productive reading environment, find a quiet and comfortable space that is free from interruption. Even consider leaving your phone in another room!
- Skim and scan. Depending on what you’re reading, you can get the information you need by skimming the material and looking out for specific phrases and keywords.
- Be an active reader. Engage with the text by summarizing key details, ask questions as you read, and try to make connections with the knowledge you already have. This is a perfect time to use those digital highlighting and note-taking features.
In today’s digital age, there’s no excuse not to read and improve access to information for yourself and your family. If you decide to sign up for any book subscription services or want to invest in a new reading device, subscribe to Mulberry Unlimited to get product protection for all your devices and purchases under the same plan.