If you’re wanting to explore photography for any reason, whether it’s different travel adventures or start your own business, finding the best camera for beginners can be difficult. Everyone has a different opinion, and there are so many types of digital cameras it’s hard to know where to begin.
The first place to start when shopping for digital cameras is finding product protection. When your camera is protected, you don't have to worry about what might happen if it gets damaged or breaks. Mulberry Unlimited can protect all your cameras and accessories under the same product protection plan. You'll get unlimited coverage and claims, so you'll never have to worry about paying for expensive repair and replacement costs.
What are the best digital cameras?
We’ve compiled some of the best digital cameras for beginners based on the kinds of activities you’ll use it for or where you are in you photography journey.
Overall best digital camera for beginners
The best overall digital camera for a beginner is the Nikon D3500. It is a DSLR camera, meaning it uses a mirror to help capture the images, much like its original film counterpart, giving you the same high-quality images with the advantages of a digital camera. Since it is a DSLR camera, it means it’s not quite as compact as some others, so depending on the use, you might want to keep that in mind. It's also pretty expensive for a beginner camera, coming in at $819.95.
Here are a few reasons we love the Nikon D3500 for beginners:
- As easy to operate as a point and shoot camera.
- 15x larger image sensor than a smartphone, creating sharper and clearer pictures.
- Pairs with the Nikon app for easy upload and sharing to a smartphone or tablet.
- With the touch of a button, unlock 1080p full HD video.
Best digital camera for travel
If you’re looking for the best compact digital camera for travel, we suggest the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV. As a mirrorless camera, you eliminate a fairly large element in the camera, creating a compact and light design perfect for travel while still offering high image quality. It's priced at $699.
Here are just a few reasons we love this compact digital camera for beginners:
- The camera is under 1 pound in weight.
- USB charging for freedom while traveling.
- Bluetooth connection to easily import and share images.
- 4k video and 5-axis image stabilization.
- Touch screen menus to guide even the newest photographer.
- Equipped with a flip-down monitor and dedicated Selfie mode.
Best digital camera for underwater adventures
If you’d like to take beautiful pictures of your next snorkeling trip, look not further than the Olympus Tough TG-6. Not only is this waterproof digital camera rated to go up to 50 feet underwater, it’s also shock-proof up to 7 feet and freeze-proof to 14°F. It's also fairly affordable compared to others on this list, at $425.
Here are a few reasons why we love this waterproof digital camera:
- Capture beautiful 4K video underwater.
- Generous optical zoom to capture the most vast underwater scene.
- Durable for even the clumsiest photographer.
- Rated for below-freezing temps for even the most arctic of dives.
- A great option for responsible teens looking to get into photography but may be prone to dropping fragile items.
Best digital camera for kids
If you’re looking for a great digital camera for your child, we recommend the Fujifilm Instax Mini EVO Instant Camera. This hybrid mini digital camera takes digital images you can upload to a smartphone or tablet and allows you to print polaroids right from the camera. It's also affordable at $199.99.
Here’s a few reasons why we love this mini digital camera for kids:
- Pocketable and accessible for even the smallest hands.
- 10 lens options and 10 film options for over 100 ways to experiment taking photos.
- Save images onto a smartphone or tablet.
- Print your child’s favorite memories to keep for a lifetime.
Protecting your digital camera investment
Cameras, even mini digital cameras, are costly. But overall, they are so worth the investment if you’re wanting to get into photography. We know you want to get the most out of your investment and keep it for years to come, which is where an extended warranty can help.
We know you’ve experienced the horror story of typical warranties that have a lot of small print and won’t cover anything. But Mulberry is different. We offer free repairs and fast replacements at a fraction of the price. Subscribe to Mulberry Unlimited and reap the benefits of warranty coverage that’s cheaper than the other guys.